As the Community Anchor Organisation for south-central Liverpool, GTDT wants to help and encourage local people to take an active role in civil society. We believe that the most sustainable form of community development comes from deep within the community itself, rather than being imposed by government or profit-driven businesses.
But we also believe that this is not easy and that all communities face challenges and barriers that can impede the progress of civil society.
We have many roles in this process and we welcome the opportunity to help local people - as individuals or as groups - to maximise their potential and take a more active part.
What is a Community Anchor Organisation?
A Community Anchor Organisation is:
- Independent and based within the community
- Multi-purpose, adapting to changing needs
- Here for the long term, not just a short term project
- A powerful force for community renewal
- A focus for services and activities meeting local need
- A vehicle for local voices to be heard, needs to be identified and for local leaders and community groups to be supported
- A platform for community development, promoting cohesion while respecting diversity
- A home for the community sector which is supportive of the growth and development of community groups
- A means of promoting community led enterprise, generating independent income while having a social, economic and environmental impact
- A forum for dialogue within communities, creating community led solutions
- A bridge between communities and the state which promotes and drives social change
- A building, a physical space